It’s going to be one of the most important days of your life, so when it comes to capturing your special day, not just any wedding photographer will do. Not only will your wedding photos be displayed in your home and on your social media accounts, it’s also the first thing that well-wishers will want to see.
That’s why it’s crucial to find a professional wedding photographer who understands your vision and can beautifully capture every sigh, every glance, and every happy tear. Careful research and deliberation are necessary to find someone whose style, personality and pricing match your own.
To help you find the right wedding photographer for your day, follow our suggestions below:
- Choose a photography style: Do you want timeless and elegant photography with the use of natural lighting where possible? Or do you prefer something more whimsical and modern, with a vintage edge? Having a basic idea of the style of photography you appreciate will help you narrow down what you’re looking for in a wedding photographer. It goes without saying that they need to have a meticulous eye for all the finer details.
- Set your budget: Before you get an indication of pricing, establishing your preferred amount for a wedding photographer is essential. This can save you heartache in the long run, especially if you’ve set your heart on a photographer that is significantly out of your budget.
- Ask your network: Reach out to your friends and family and ask them if they can recommend any wedding photographers that they have worked with. Similarly, visit your top 5 favoured photographers and scrutinise their Facebook and Instagram accounts to see how they interact with their followers. Also, it doesn’t hurt to do your research by reading online reviews to see what couples have had to say about the wedding photographer.
- Interview the wedding photographer: Your wedding photographer will shadow your every move throughout your wedding day, from the moment you slip into your shoes in the morning through to those intimate night portraits in the evening. So, it’s important that you have the right chemistry and that your personalities click. Organise to meet up with them to get to know them on a deeper level.
- Review their portfolio: A genuine wedding photographer will have an entire photo gallery devoted to their wedding photography and videography. Take the time to browse through their portfolio together with your partner to see if their style is appealing to you.
- It’s all in the finer details: After your day is over (and it will go very fast!) you’ll want something tangible to remind yourself of the events that unfolded. This is why it’s important to ask the wedding photographer the finer details, such as when you can expect your photos back, how many photos you will receive, and other FAQ.
- Tap into their experience: Wedding photography is an art; a niche. It is very different to architecture or fashion shoots. As it’s a live event that is dependent on time, an experienced wedding photographer should be able to capture the essence of your day effortlessly while adhering to the flow of the day and knowing where to be at the right time to get those stunning shots.
- Location, location, location: Getting married in Melbourne at Zonzo Estate, Vogue Ballroom or Montsalvat? Look for a photographer like ATEIA Photography who has worked in your chosen space already. This way, they’ll already be familiar with the location, and know all the best spots to take the most flattering shots.
- Get a package deal: If you’re considering filming your special day as well, find a photographer that also offers videography. That way, you know the photographer and videographer will work great as a team, respecting each other’s space and art.
Go with your intuition: Once you’ve evaluated the wedding photographer’s work and fees, it’s now time to ask yourself: does this feel right? If the answer is yes, you’ve found your wedding photographer.
Discover the best wedding photography in Melbourne
Wedding photography is an investment, and nobody understands this better than ATEIA Photography. Having been invited to capture over 2000 weddings, as well as received 500 glowing reviews online, ATEIA has the privilege and the pleasure of being a part of many special moments in a couple’s lives.
Our professionalism and customer service are a testament to the premium imagery we produce for you, and we pride ourselves on providing an incredible wedding photography experience with images that you can fondly reflect on for years to come.
With wedding photography shot strictly in Melbourne, you know you’re getting a dedicated photographer who understands the scenery and spaces inside out.
If you would like us to be a part of your special day, please contact ATEIA Photography today to meet the team.